As many of my regular readers know I consider vitamin D3 the most important vitamin supplement we can take for its many benefits. It has usually been thought of as responsible only for calcium absorption in the gut but research keeps turning up more benefits. I would like to review recent discoveries.
1. Anti-cancer benefits. A large study about a year ago showed that people who kept their vitamin D3 levels above 55 ng/ml would have a 50% reduction in their risk of stomach, lung,colon, breast and prostate cancer. No side effects and a very cost-effective way to reduce cancer risk.
2. Immune modulation - I routinely find very low levels of this vitamin in patients with lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. Clinical improvement can occur when the level is restored to normal.
3. Regulate hormones - women with polycystic ovary syndrome who are not menstruating usually get a return to normal period cycling and become fertile when I include Vitamin D in my treatment approach.
4. Insulin effects - studies with Vitamin D and calcium have shown these two can reduce your risk of diabetes.
5. Asthma - children supplemented with adequate Vitamin D show improvements in their asthma, presumably because of it's immune effects.
6. Arthritic & fibromyalgia pain - research supports the testing of vitamin D and use in high enough doses to reduce the pain of arthritis and fibromyalgia up to 50%.
7. Flu - it has been known for years that flu outbreaks are highest in countries with least winter sunshine. Research into the ability of Vitamin D to improve your resistance to H1N1 (swine) flu is going on now.
These are just some of the many benefits already established for Vitamin D3. Find more by going to www.vitamindcouncil.com. They have a free newsletter you can subscribe to and I recommend you do this. Get your level tested soon. Stay tuned for an important update to the government's attitude to this testing. What do you think Medicare thinks of this vitamin??